Dear Readers

The theme of this blog, Abigail coming home, has been completed for some time now. Therefore, it's time to close the book on this adventure and call it complete.

The family adventure, however is far from over. If you wish to continue to follow the Friend family, head on over to our family blog at thefriendfam.blogspot.com. There you will find updates on Abigail as well as the rest of the family.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Trip to the Grocery Store, Part 2

There are no grocery stores on this little island. There are a couple of tiny convenience stores, but, by day 1, food was becoming a critical issue. Every time we leave our motel room, Abigail wants to know if we are eating. All of us have thoroughly eaten through all the snacks and fruits I had bought in Xi'an for the plane ride. Another adoptive parent in our group convinced Leila, our coordinator, to take us by taxi to the grocery store on the mainland. After the usual harrowing taxi ride where you wish you had taken time to triple your insurance policy before you left home, we arrived at the grocery store. I don't quite understand how this all works, but the grocery store is a couple levels underneath the ground. We grabbed a cart and soon we were going on a sloping moving sidewalk in a downward direction. It's a real trip, let me tell you! The store was jam-packed. You played kamikaze grocery cart as you navigated the aisles.

Here, when you buy your fruit, it has to be weighed and marked by the clerk near the fruit. Since there are lots of other people wanting to get their fruit marked, you can't be shy, because the Chinese don't queue up. Fortunately, I knew it was my turn next, and my long arms could reach over and get my fruit on the scale before the next person snuck in.

Then it was time to find some munchies. Wheat digestible crackers. Seafood crackers. I ended up with cucumber flavored Lay's potato chips. I just didn't think I could handle the blueberry flavored ones.

0 comments: