Dear Readers

The theme of this blog, Abigail coming home, has been completed for some time now. Therefore, it's time to close the book on this adventure and call it complete.

The family adventure, however is far from over. If you wish to continue to follow the Friend family, head on over to our family blog at thefriendfam.blogspot.com. There you will find updates on Abigail as well as the rest of the family.

Monday, November 10, 2008

The Straw Man

It seems like each day brings new surprises. Breakfast this morning was no exception. The restaurant in the hotel serves a western style buffet and we walked around the buffet with Abigail pointing out what she wanted. One of the things she selected was a container of yogurt.

Halfway through the meal she picked up the yogurt container and gestured at me. I made moves to peel the top away which brought a shriek and protest from her. She picked up one of her chopsticks and pantomimed drinking from a straw.

We debated a little bit on how to convince her that this was not a juice container but was yogurt, but could not come up with anything. Anytime I made moves to do anything with the yogurt container, she protested and made the straw motions. I wanted to quick peel the top away and show her that it was not something to drink, but she would not let that happen.

When it was time to leave, I told her to take it with her but she was still convinced she wanted a straw. She asked one of the wait staff something in Chinese, and the waitress responded with a hand motion. I think Abigail expected me to understand, but I didn't. I finally cast about looking for a straw and I found a bunch. On the shelf above the yogurt. Apparently, yogurt is eaten with a straw here.

She took one sip of the yogurt and then demanded that I eat the rest of it. She wouldn't back down when I indicated I was full by patting my stomach. We compromised by carrying it back to the hotel room.

1 comments:

Mom to my China Posse said...

Hi This is Kathy, I had to laugh because thats how they do yogurt in China. When your at the White Swan there is actually straws lined up with the yogurt and all the kids drink it.lol...... Thanks for inviting me to read your journal. I sure our girls will get along great in GZ.