Dear Readers

The theme of this blog, Abigail coming home, has been completed for some time now. Therefore, it's time to close the book on this adventure and call it complete.

The family adventure, however is far from over. If you wish to continue to follow the Friend family, head on over to our family blog at thefriendfam.blogspot.com. There you will find updates on Abigail as well as the rest of the family.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Santa and the Incarnation

I asked Jane, our interpreter, to come up to our room to help me explain some things to Abigail. One of the things I wanted to talk to Abigail about was Christmas, since we will be celebrating it soon when we get home. Abigail told Jane she knew all about Christmas. A man carries a big bag on his back, and you get presents.

Hmmm. How do you explain the incarnation to a nine-year-old through an interpreter who is not a believer? I don't think I did a great job, but I tried. In our hotel lobby, there are replicas of sacrificial tables the emperors used for their sacrifices. I explained that people all over the world used sacrifices like the emperors but that they did not take away the bad things that we did in God's sight. I explained that God sent his own son to be the perfect final sacrifice. We celebrate his coming at Christmas.

Our interpreter told me, "Oh, I learned some new things."

Later on, I showed her Joshua's name in the Bible, David's name in the Bible, and her name. I could tell she thought that was pretty neat. Her name was in this book that she sees us read.

She now knows what to do when we pray, and she looks like a perfect saint when she's praying. But we know she isn't!

2 comments:

Chris Haven said...

What a witness you are for our Lord! This brought tears to my eyes. Not only did you tell Abigail about Christ but also your guide. I love reading what is happening in China with your family. Glad you are feeling better Deb. Is Josh next for the bug? We will pray for your families health.I am sure being in another culture is stressful and your stomache is trying to get used to the different food. Now you will know how Abigial will be feeling when she returns home with you. Love and prayers, the Haven family.

Anonymous said...

AJ and I just read this and I did cry! Amazing to think of all the Chinese girls, Abigail was chosen by God to hear about His love through Jesus' final sacrifice. And the interpreter too!! God gave you the idea of the sacrifice, great job!!! We did pray and will continue to pray for Abigail's salvation. Love you my dear friend Deb.