Dear Readers

The theme of this blog, Abigail coming home, has been completed for some time now. Therefore, it's time to close the book on this adventure and call it complete.

The family adventure, however is far from over. If you wish to continue to follow the Friend family, head on over to our family blog at thefriendfam.blogspot.com. There you will find updates on Abigail as well as the rest of the family.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Cup of Tea

3 blocks from our hotel is a section of the city known as the Muslim Quarter. The guidebook says the area is home over 60,000 Muslims, which in a city of six million, is not a large percentage, but they mostly live in one spot. There is a mosque there which apparently looks like a lot of the more ancient Chinese architecture. The streets have lots of vendors selling trinkets, swords, silks, cashmere, nuts galore, and lots of dried fruit. The smells are amazing. It's really impossible to describe. I think our noses are underutilized back in the States. Everything is shrink-wrapped, boxed, and then encased wax paper. You couldn't smell anything if you tried.

A good example of a aroma sensation is the tea shop. We walked into the shop and there are large glass canisters of all different kinds of teas.
The seller encourages you to open the jars, take out a scoop, and smell it. There are all kids of flower teas, black teas, green teas. Josh and David even liked the smell of the teas. Best of all, when I bought tea, I got to take it home in a really cool cylindrical red and gold container. It has not been safety-sealed for my protection, but I get to open it whenever I want and enjoy the smell.

I bought Abigail and I each a little teapot to steep our tea in.

1 comments:

Chris Haven said...

Hi Tim and Deb, Kim gave me your blog address after I asked her if she had heard anything from you in China. We did pray for you in church and Sunday school on Sunday. Abagail is beautiful. It does sound like homeschooling is going to be a challenge. We will continue to pray for your family.