Dear Readers

The theme of this blog, Abigail coming home, has been completed for some time now. Therefore, it's time to close the book on this adventure and call it complete.

The family adventure, however is far from over. If you wish to continue to follow the Friend family, head on over to our family blog at thefriendfam.blogspot.com. There you will find updates on Abigail as well as the rest of the family.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Great Wall of China, David Style

[Deb Speaking] Today was a hectic, busy day. Since it's right before Christmas, I really didn't have time to read to Abigail like I like to do every day. I am a firm believer in reading aloud to my children as I think it exposes them to good writers and it's a wonderful way to spend time together. I still read to my 17- and 15-year-olds several times a week.

Today I decided I needed a little help, so I asked David, our 15-year-old to please read to Abigail. I had selected the book The Great Wall of China by Leonard Everett Fisher. I thought Abigail might enjoy seeing the Chinese characters on the side of each page, and David could learn a little bit more about the Great Wall, which we had seen in China.

It's sounds like a foolproof win-win, doesn't it?

As I bustled about the kitchen, I stopped to tune in to what David was reading in the living room. I was hearing that King Bob and his general Kluken were involved in this great building project. I had never heard of a Chinese emperor named "Bob", and "Kluken" is David's favorite made-up word.

I did not have the time to interrupt, but later David said to me, "Mom, I hope you weren't intending that book as a history lesson for Abigail. I didn't know how to pronounce the names, so I made up my own."

I then took the book and read the first paragraph. It reads as follows:

About twenty-two hundred years ago, King Cheng of Ch'in conquered the kingdoms of Han, Sun, Yen, Yueh, Ch'i, Chou, Chao, Ch'u, Wei, Wey, Wu, and Lu. Tiny Ch'in became a huge empire: China. And King Cheng became Ch'in Shih Huang Ti, the First Supreme Emperor of China.

Hmmm. Sometimes a little improvisation IS necessary.

1 comments:

The Lokkers said...

Scott apparently was there for this history lesson and is convinced that General Kluken was instrumental in building the Great Wall.